Thursday, April 17, 2008

happy birthday to a lighter caleb!

Caleb,
Happy birthday (a day late)! I hope you had an awesome day yesterday. I was thinking of you. Which leads me to thinking of your and your questions regarding if we'd want to live forever (ish). I agree that I would like those around me to live forever, or at least as long as I do. Losing Dad was awful and if I could avoid ever grieving like that again, I would like to. But, I can't say that living forever would be so radical. Things are supposed to have their end, right? Also, logistically, I don't think our planet could support all of us if we all kept living, reproducing, then they kept living, and then they reproduced, and so on and so on. I think the other issue with prolonging life is that we need to have a society in which the quality of life is better as well. While my life is amazing, thanks in most parts to our family, there is a level of violence and poverty out there in the world that scare me. Would it be that only those who could afford to would live long lives, but the mentally ill homeless people or the poverty-stricken inner-city people would die young? The disparity in income levels would be even more disgusting in that case. That's my thoughts.

On a lighter note, what did you do for your birthday, Caleb? I can't believe you're 26! One memory of you I keep having is in shorts, socks pulled up to your knees, and an army cap. You were a so lanky and goofy. You still kind of are, eh?

Love you!

No comments: